Company: Turner Construction
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Position Description: Supports the Lead Estimators and/or
Preconstruction Manager in all estimating functions throughout the
Launch process required during the preconstruction phase.
Responsible for value engineering, budget controls, alternative and
comparative studies, constructability reviews and Target Value
Design. Responsible to ensure that estimates, bids and GMP's are
complete, accurate, and well supported by recent pricing data and
subcontractor input. Reports to: Preconstruction Manager or
Regional Preconstruction Manager Essential Duties &
- Receive, file and distribute design documents to internal team
- Coordinate subcontractor bid lists with procurement for budget
pricing and bidding.
- Manage distribution of current design documents for
subcontractor budgeting and bidding and ensure sufficient
subcontractor input is received.
- Review design documents for level of completion, assemble
comments and requests for additional information needed to provide
- Review and confirm that all previously approved document
revisions have been incorporated into the design documents. Record
and report all exceptions.
- Attend pre-bid meetings and subcontractor site
- Visit sites to evaluate existing conditions and identify and
capture any scope that may not be included in the design
- Support the Lead Estimator or Preconstruction Manager in the
set-up of the estimate, estimate schedule, and responsibility
- Perform quantity take-offs, analysis, estimate, and studies for
all assigned trades and building systems
- Provide pricing for value engineering, alternates, options, and
special studies as required.
- Utilize Building Information Models (BIM) for quantity take-off
and visualization where possible to support preparation of a
- Prepare subcontractor bid proposal forms and subcontractor bid
recording sheets for assigned trades. Evaluate subcontractor input
for scope inclusion. Identify scope gaps and overlaps and
coordinate with other staff managing trades.
- Ensure pricing within the estimate or GMP is complete and
accurate, reflecting recent pricing data, subcontractor bids or
- Participate in internal estimate review meetings
- Lead the coordination of operational input during the
estimating, bidding, and GMP process. Ensure that the detailed
General Conditions/Requirement (GC/GRs) study and site logistics
and Building LIFE, prepared by Operations, is incorporated into the
- Develop, lead or support the assembly of all estimate, bid or
GMP documents required by and submitted to the Owner. Coordinate
requirements with the CM Agreement.
- Actively participate in estimate and GMP review meetings with
architects, engineers, and owners and incorporate comments,
feedback, and input into revised estimates or GMP's. Assemble
revised documents for final submission.
- Take lead role or support role in Lump Sum bids.
- Train and manage Estimators, including performance evaluations
for those staff assigned.
- Support the development and enhancement of owner, architect,
subcontractor and vendor relations. Job Requirements:
- Analyze cost data, unit prices, general conditions and general
requirements costs, and information that can be developed and used
as a "rule of thumb" for all building systems estimated costs.
- Participate and contribute to the Launch Matrix for each
- Coordinate with Operations Lead to support preparation,
scheduling, evaluating, executing and managing the Launch Matrix
and Launch Matrix meetings for each estimate milestone.
- Coordinate with Lean Manager to develop and execute Pull Plans
for design, estimate and GMP schedules.
- Provide input to constructability reviews and coordinate with
the Operations Lead to ensure the constructability reviews are
completed in a timely manner and incorporated into the milestone
estimates, to the extent required by contract.
- Prepare comparison analysis to previous estimate and develop a
clear and concise message to explain the variances for each of the
- Generate, coordinate and manage Budget Control Reports between
each milestone estimate to manage cost events and value engineering
opportunities. Provide variance reports for each milestone estimate
to communicate scope development.
- Lead or support establishing the Target Value Design process as
appropriate for assigned projects. Qualifications: Bachelor's
degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Building
Construction or similar, plus two or more years as an Estimator
following experience in project engineering, field supervision or
purchasing. Knowledge of building construction, materials, systems,
market conditions, trade practices. Must have conceptual ability to
work with minimum information and quickly develop an understanding
of the owner/architect requirements. Should demonstrate
imaginative, innovative and succinct approach to a project. Should
have familiarity with the operating procedures and methods of other
departments - Procurement, Cost, Accounting, etc. Good leadership,
verbal and written skills. Strong computer skills and a familiarity
with Microsoft Office Suite of programs and Turner's estimating
software. Complete knowledge of the estimating documents and the
ability to provide accurate qualitative and quantitative analysis
of the documents. Must be able to multitask and meet established
deadlines. Physical Demands: Performance of the required duties
will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary
stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to
climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific
vision abilities required by this job include close vision,
peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust
focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to finger, handle,
or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand,
climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Employee must
occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Work Environment:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly
works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is
exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes
or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of
electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually
moderate to very loud. May perform other duties as assigned. Where
applicable, all activities will include disabled and veterans'
organizations. Turner is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual
Orientation/Gender Identity. VEVRAA Federal Contractor Turner is an
Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer minorities /
females / veterans / individuals with disabilities/ sexual
orientation / gender identity. VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Keywords: Turner Construction, Huntsville , Senior Estimator-Huntsville, Professions , Huntsville, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!