Celsion- Senior Scientist, Formulation
Company: HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Job DescriptionPosition: Senior Scientist, FormulationJob Type:
Full-TimeLocation: Huntsville, ALSummaryTo support its proprietary
nucleic acid-based technology platforms, Celsion is seeking a
Senior Scientist, Formulation at its Huntsville, AL, facility to
play an integral role in developing novel nucleic acid delivery
formulations. About CelsionCelsion Corporation is a pre-revenue,
integrated biopharmaceutical company focused on developing a
portfolio of innovative treatments for cancer and infectious
diseases using its DNA-mediated gene transfer technologies. Our
lead product is GEN-1, a DNA-mediated immunotherapy for the
localized treatment of ovarian cancer. Our newest program in
development is a novel plasmid DNA-based investigational vaccine
for preventing or treating infections from a broad range of
infectious agents including the coronavirus disease using our
PLACCINE DNA vaccine technology platform.Duties and
ResponsibilitiesThe successful candidate will:
- Produce and characterize novel nucleic acid formulations, based
on Celsion's proprietary synthetic delivery systems, including DNA
or mRNA RNA nanoparticles or nanocomplexes.
- Conduct analytical characterization of the formulations
understanding the interaction between nucleic acid and the delivery
agents, and defining factors driving an optimal interaction,
formulation reproducibility, stability, and transfection activity
in vitro and in vivo.
- Perform standard analytical methods for formulation
characterization including dynamic light scattering, spectroscopic
analysis, gel electrophoresis, particle sizing, and zeta potential.
Experience with transmission electron microscopy and atomic force
microscopy will be seen preferably.
- Conduct experiments to evaluate cell transfection activity and
stability characteristics of the formulations to advance scientific
understanding of the formulated systems and achieving respective
- Demonstrate the ability to work independently to develop
formulations, optimize and troubleshoot the process.
- Be extremely detail-oriented and place high value in
documentation of work for communication to supervisor, other team
members and sound development of documentation practices.
- Effectively communicate with technical and business-oriented
audiences within the company through presentations and written
reports.QualificationsTo be successful in this role your background
and experience should include:
- Ph.D. with 5 years plus industry/academia experience in nucleic
acid delivery formulations.
- Hands-on experience in DNA or RNA delivery formulation and
understanding of the relevant research area are the key metrics for
- Experience in nano-assembly of DNA or RNA drugs into
nano-complexes or nano-encapsulates and analytical techniques for
particle size, zeta potential and other particle properties.
Experience in cell-based assays, standard tissue culture
techniques, immunofluorescence, and ELISA will be considered
- Good presentation and communication skills and have the ability
to identify and apply the appropriate methodologies and data
- Candidate should be familiar with searching and interpreting
relevant literature and be able to develop a focused research
- Must be able to interact with multifunctional personnel and
effectively participate in a team environment.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, particularly
Word and Excel required
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication
skills (oral and written).
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, multi-task and remain
flexible with changing needs.
- Ability to handle the typical industry pressure of meeting
deadlines and dynamic work conditions.
- Ability to work independently as well as with team
members.Celsion offers:Health and Dental insurance, matching 401k,
and generous PTO for eligible employeesPhysical
Demands/Environmental Factors/Mental FunctionsADA Requirements The
physical demands, work environment factors, and mental functions
described below are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential function of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Disclaimer -
All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect
changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate
individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude
individuals who pose a threat or risk to the health and safety of
themselves or other employees. This job description in no way
states or implies that these are the only duties which will be
required in this position. Employees will be required to follow
other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor/manager
(within guidelines and compliance with Federal and State Laws).
Continued employment remains on an "at-will" basis.Physical Demands
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position (sit or stand)
for prolonged periods (50% of the time).
- Frequently moving between work areas.
- Frequently moving, transporting, and positioning materials up
to 30 pounds.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision,
distance vision, and depth perception.
- Frequent operation of common office equipment (e.g. computers,
mobile devices, calculators, copiers, scanners) and laboratory
- Frequently position self (e.g. stoop, crouch, crawl, bend) and
pull/push, grasp/squeeze, wrist flexion/extension, reach to operate
and maintain laboratory equipment.Environmental Factors
- Exposure to chemical, mechanical and electrical hazards, and
hazardous physical substances and fumes, and airborne
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.Mental
- Continuous mental and visual attention, requiring sustained
attention and observation.
- Excellent fine motor skills and hand control in order to
- Ability to sustain focus during research procedures (to
maintain protocol such as order of operations).
- Ability to visually observe results and record outcomes on lab
logs and/or PC.
- Basic computer skills are required.
- Extensive documentation skills, good attention to detail, and
exceptional organizational skills are required.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in the
- Requires the ability to adapt to change efficiently.
- Ability to independently lead and conduct research, and to
evaluate, interpret and present complex scientific data.
- Capacity to work productively within functionally diverse teams
as well as collaborate with external investigators and partners in
academic and industrial settings.
- Ability to prioritize issues and use sound judgment to
recognize when additional consultation and/or help is needed.
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at one time.
- Strong logical thinking and deduction skills.
- Ability to effectively present ideas and information in a
variety of formats to a wide range of audiences.
- Positive, flexible, and professional attitude.It is the policy
of Celsion, in accordance with all applicable laws, to recruit,
hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability,
genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any
other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Keywords: HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology, Huntsville , Celsion- Senior Scientist, Formulation, Other , Huntsville, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!