Company: GENERAL ATOMICS
Posted on: June 12, 2021
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated
companies, is one of the world?s leading resources for
high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel
cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced
electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and
manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power
generation systems. GA-EMS? expanding portfolio of specialized
products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet,
space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy,
and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial,
and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity in our Systems
Engineering group for a Project Engineer to lead engineering and
development of cutting-edge GA-EMS products and technologies. This
position directly supports EMS business units in the development of
innovative new designs in resolving advanced technical engineering
problems. This position reports to the Manager of Project
Engineering, and may lead engineering project teams of up to
approximately fifty engineers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We recognize and appreciate the value and
contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and
experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to
- Responsible for designing the engineering
development effort and leading the execution and implementation of
the engineering process in concert with the Chief Engineer and
- Accountable for aggregate technical team, plan,
and performance to plan.
- Ensures that program technical resource needs
are defined and met by working with the functional organizations to
identify and secure appropriate staffing.
- Manages resource needs and leads engineering
activities for a cross-functional engineering
- Executes program plans to conform to cost,
schedule, production, and performance
- Supports technical leadership on product design,
development, and improvement projects in concert with Program
- Represents the project team?s efforts to the
engineering functional organization.
- Represents the engineering functional
organization to Project Management.
- Communicates with engineering professionals,
solution users, and management throughout the solution development
cycle, and represents the company as a prime technical contact on
contracts and/or projects.
- Presents engineering work products in periodic
and milestone reviews to senior staff and
- Organizes all engineering work to support the
project Integrated Master Schedule (IMS) and budget per the Project
Management Plan (PMP):
- Assist in the management and execution of the
- Lead development of engineering inputs to
- Provide day-to-day prioritization of tasks as
planned in engineering schedule.
- Work with PM/scheduler to update engineering
- Accountable for engineering tasks, budget,
schedule, and performance.
- Tracking and reporting of engineering schedule
- Coordinate and drive engineering tasks and
actions to closure in a timely fashion while providing updates to
the Program Management Office and senior
- Responsible for the execution and implementation
of engineering processes: design, development, integration, test
and performance verification.
- Manage the planning, execution, and
tracking/reporting of all technical aspects of the engineering
development for company systems.
- Evaluates the integration of the engineering
solution within the overall engineering environment; ensures that
appropriate documentation, testing, maintenance, and engineering
updates are completed in accordance with Systems Engineering best
- Leads the engineering product development
process through major program milestone reviews (SRR, PDR, CDR and
- Formulates plans, typically long-term, for
solution(s) development, documentation, and deployment, as well as
meeting various compliance, reporting, and safety
- Supports development of interface control
documents, software requirement specifications, performance
specifications, presentations and review test
- Supports the development and execution of test
plans and guides the integration, verification, validation, and
documentation of requirements through the system development
- Keeps comprehensive notes/records, provides
formal documentation following established processes and makes
technical presentations, as required.
- Leads support for proposals/white papers and
interfaces with customers
- Works with functional engineering leads to
develop Basis of Estimates for engineering support to
- Performs other duties as
- Typically requires a bachelor?s degree,
master?s degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical
discipline from an accredited institution and progressive
engineering experience as follows; twelve or more years of
experience with a bachelor?s degree, ten or more years of
experience with a master?s degree, or 8 or more years with a PhD.
May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of
- An Engineering degree is preferred, though a
Science degree may be accepted with appropriate
- Demonstrates broad technical expertise and
application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and
practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and
coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones,
with significant experience in project
- Requires strong skills in management, project
management, leadership, communication, systems engineering, and
engineering technical disciplines.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of systems
engineering processes, flow down of system requirements, system
architecture and the interaction of system and subsystem
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of system
verification and validation to ensure the final products conform to
the stated requirements.
- Contract orientation: understand and apply
statement of work requirements, familiarize stakeholders with
contract and organization requirements.
- Detailed working knowledge of PLM/Windchill is
- Knowledge/experience with Requirements
Management Systems, support requirements, lifecycle planning and
integration for DOD systems is desired.
- Strong computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Word,
Excel, PowerPoint, Project) are required.
- Strong communication, presentation, and
interpersonal skills are required, enabling an effective interface
with customers and other departments and/or professionals; capable
of representing the organization as a prime technical contact, as
well as providing leadership and guidance to less experienced
- Multi-tasking team player with a hands-on
approach; customer-focused, formulates plans based on the
development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced
technical engineering problems.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, plan,
schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads of technical team to
meet established deadlines or milestones.
- Broad, multi-disciplinary technical expertise
and a history of applying of engineering principles, concepts,
theory, and practice
- Previous DOD experience highly
- Have a desire to work in a fast-paced testing
- Must be able to work extended hours and travel
- Ability to obtain and maintain DoD Secret or
higher security clearance required.
Keywords: GENERAL ATOMICS, Huntsville , Project Engineer, Other , Hollytree, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!