Lead Systems Engineer
Company: General Atomics
Posted on: February 22, 2021
General Atomics pioneers technologies with the potential to
change the world. Behind a talented global team of engineers, GA
delivers safe, sustainable, and economical solutions to meet
growing global demands. Our Engineers have an opportunity to work
on first of a kind product lines within an incredible, dynamic
environment. Engineering positions typically require a bachelor's
degree, master's degree or PhD in engineering or a related
technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive
engineering experience. Candidates from mechanical, electrical, and
aerospace engineering backgrounds must know the fundamentals of
engineering system developments, requirements, testing, and
integration before getting to the final stages of customer
interface and project management. Job Level: Senior (8+ years)
Travel: 0% - 25% Success Profile What makes a successful Lead
Systems Engineer at General Atomics? Check out the top traits we're
looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team Player
- Creative Date posted 12/17/2020 Job ID 30554BR Company General
Atomics Experience Level Senior (8+ years) Job Title Lead Systems
Engineer City Huntsville State Alabama Full-Time/Part-Time
Job Summary General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is
one of the world's leading resources for high-technology systems
development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted
aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic,
wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and
manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power
generation systems. GA-EMS' expanding portfolio of specialized
products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet,
space systems and satellites, missile projectiles, and missile
defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications
for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity in our Aerospace Systems
Engineering department for a full-time Senior Systems Engineer (SE)
to serve as the Lead Systems Engineer, for a missile system
program. The successful candidate will provide technical leadership
for a multi-disciplinary team geographically distributed between
Huntsville, AL, Tupelo, MS, Fredericksburg, VA, and San Diego, CA.
The Lead Systems Engineer will support the Chief Engineer through
all phases of the design, development, integration, and test of the
missile system. This position is located in Huntsville, AL.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as the lead systems engineer on a critical/high
visibility missile development project.
- Provide expert systems engineering team leadership for a
multi-disciplinary team that includes requirements engineering,
model-based systems engineering, and risk, issue and opportunity
- Lead and support the planning, development and execution of
major program technical reviews including System Requirements
Review, Preliminary Design Review, and Critical Design Review.
- Expert application of systems engineering skills and
experience, to include:
- Deep knowledge of requirements development and verification
- Steering identification and capture of customer and other
- Guiding collaboration with engineering teams and
program/project management to translate stakeholder needs into
technical design requirements and interfaces.
- Application of Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) methods
- Proficiency at risk, issue and opportunity management, to
include identification and resolution planning.
- Demonstrate strong communication skills with and between
customers, team members, task leads, functional managers, and
program management to facilitate rapid resolution of technical and
- Collaborate daily with GA and customer engineering and program
- Make technical presentations during working groups and peer
reviews, or to senior management or customers, as required.
- Support development, review, editing, and production of
technical documents, digital products, and proposals as
- Perform other duties as assigned or required. We recognize and
appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse
backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in
engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited
institution and progressive engineering experience as follows;
twelve or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, ten or
more years of experience with a masters degree, or seven or more
years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience
in lieu of education.
- US Citizenship is required.
- Must possess active DOD Secret Security Clearance; with ability
to obtain Top Secret if required.
- Demonstrate an understanding of missile subsystems and
engineering disciplines including mechanical/airframe,
aerodynamics, avionics, flight software, control systems,
propulsion, guidance and navigation, communications, power, thermal
protection, and lethality.
- Solid experience in leading systems engineering teams in
complex system development environments.
- Success in this position requires consistent application of the
following key abilities:
- Demonstration of a positive attitude, strong initiative and
work ethic, and ability to multi-task.
- Advanced leadership and management proficiency; able to direct
a team to accomplish a variety of SE tasks concurrently.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, computer, and
- Able to collaborate as part of a team, as well as accomplish
tasks independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Rapid and effective problem solving.
- Experience with, and understanding of, Model Based Systems
Engineering (MBSE) methods is required; Experience with
Cameo/MagicDraw is highly desirable.
- Experience using DOORS requirements management tool is highly
- INCOSE Certified Systems Engineering Professional (CSEP) is
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- Travel expectation: 10 - 25% Travel Percentage Required 0% -
25% Relocation Assistance Provided Yes US Citizenship Required? Yes
Clearance Required? Yes Clearance Level Secret "The company is
growing, has a very good reputation and had open positions in my
area of expertise (aircraft design/design methodology
development)." "We don't ascribe to quotas; we do ascribe to
securing the BEST talent to enrich our culture toward healthy
diversification and active/viable community service. We are STEM
advocates." "Every day is different, with different problems to
solve and many programs to support. I am a problem solver and have
always been motivated by the tough questions." - Scott, Laser
Scientist "I work in the Components Engineering and Obsolescence
Management Dept. Our efforts are saving General Atomics several
millions of dollars by proactively leading and informing the
company of all these decisions which significantly impact
production, sustainment and new designs." Get General Atomics job
alerts delivered right to your inbox. Be among the first to get the
latest career news, hiring events and other information helpful to
your professional goals. General Atomics is committed to hiring and
retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and will consider all
qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, religious creed, ancestry, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual
orientation, transitioning status, gender identity, gender
expression, national origin, age, genetic information, military and
veteran status, marital status, medical condition, mental
disability, physical disability, or any other basis protected by
local, state, or federal law. EEO is the law. We also prohibit
compensation discrimination under all applicable laws. To learn
more click here . U.S. Citizenship is required for certain
positions. We endeavor to make the online job application process
accessible to any and all users. If you have a disability that
impacts your ability to complete the job application process and
would like to request assistance or a reasonable accommodation,
please contact (858) 455-4545, or click here . This contact
information is for accommodation requests only, not to inquire
about the status of applications. If you experience issues with the
career site or would like to provide feedback, contact us at:
Keywords: General Atomics, Huntsville , Lead Systems Engineer, Other , Huntsville, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!