DIRECTOR, EVENT MANAGEMENT
Company: Rocket Center
Posted on: March 18, 2023
If you are a job seeker with a disability and require a
reasonable accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, you will
find the contact information to request the appropriate
accommodation by visiting the following page:The purpose of this
position is to ensure the effective and efficient direction of
events for the USSRC. This position ensures that all events promote
quality service that reflects the mission, vision, and values of
the USSRC.ResponsibilitiesEssential Functions
- Integration. Serve as the lead integrator for all special
events, coordinating across functional teams to ensure timely
requests for support are received, understood, and executed.
- Team Management. Manage the efforts of the protocol officer,
event coordinators, and any other personnel assigned to carry out
the duties of the office which includes envisioning, developing,
coordinating, and executing events supporting the USSRC.
- Manage Expectations. Work with event stakeholders to understand
and manage expectations for events to ensure their comfort with our
processes and ultimate satisfaction.
- Key Stakeholders. Ensure key stakeholders and VIPs are given
appropriate attention and respect and to allow informed executive
engagement with visitors.
- Collaboration. Collaborate with the Food and Beverage Director
to ensure event sponsors and guests are pleased with the food and
beverage options, including ensuring that appropriate timelines are
met to provide adequate time for stocking and staffing.
- Policies & Procedures. Ensure that all events are in accordance
with USSRC policies, procedures, and regulations. Propose updates
to policies and procedures when necessary.
- Assist with Planning. Assist representatives from industrial,
civic, and governmental agencies and organizations, as well as
private individuals, with planning special functions in accordance
with USSRC policies procedures and regulations.
- Inquiry Response. Ensure that all inquiries are responded to in
a timely manner.
- Pricing. Coordinate with CEO, CFO, Museum, Sales, IT, and Food
and Beverage teams to establish competitive pricing for events.
This includes conducting market research to recommend the
appropriate price levels prior to internal discussions.
- Needs Assessment. Ensure that clients are consulted to assess
and understand their needs for the event; areas of discussion and
consultation include staffing, meeting rooms, spaces to be used,
hospitality suites, signage, IT, AV, security, parking, display
areas, and other specialized requirements.
- Negotiations and Contracts Management. Ensure all negotiations
with clients and organizations regarding event specifications occur
in a timely and courteous manner and external events customers have
paid in full prior to the event (except for a small amount of
- Contracts and Collections. Ensure timely and accurate
collection of deposits and payments. Prepare contracts for each
Special Events customer and make sure that all appropriate internal
and external parties sign these contracts; ensure conditions of the
contract are met both internally and externally, including the
collection of deposits and payments from USSRC customers.
- Advertising. Produce and update the marketing information for
event planning on a regular basis to provide an engaging and
attractive marketing product. Advertise to increase sales and fill
- Calendar. Maintain accurate and current special events calendar
and ensures that calendar is distributed in an accurate and timely
- Coordination. Ensure that special event schedules and
activities involving other departments are established in
conjunction with appropriate manager to optimize time, schedules,
and space for all departments involved.
- Monitor. Attend special events to ensure that they are
conducted in a manner that reflects the mission, vision, and values
of the USSRC.
- Special Functions. Assist representatives from industrial,
civic, and governmental agencies and organizations, as well as
private individuals, with planning special functions, including
custom camps, in accordance with USSRC policies procedures and
- Follow-up. Ensure timely follow-up to each event, including
briefings, minutes, thank you letters, and invoicing. Conduct
post-event evaluations to determine how future events could be
- Expectations. Meet or exceed the expectations for the accurate
and timely completion of related tasks and assignments.This
position has the following special requirements:This position has
the following special requirements:
- Sitting for long periods of time (4-6hrs) behind desk.
- Walking, climbing (stairs) to access other departments.
- Feeling, Wrist Movements, Seeing, reading to operate computer
terminal, office equipment, and handle various documents.
- Talking and Hearing to assist customers and employees in person
and over the telephone.This position involves working in a
climate-controlled office environment. This position deals
extensively with the public and with employees who interact with
assigned area of responsibility. This position will involve some
late-night closing. -Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes
- Adheres to organizational policies and applicable laws.
- Instructs, coaches, and encourages staff to support by action
and example the mission and vision of the Center.
- Demonstrates good judgment within supervision of staff.
- Effectively monitors staff performance and offers appropriate
coaching, counseling or supervision as required.
- Completes staff evaluations, documentation, etc., on time and
- Serves as an effective role model to staff by demonstrating
exemplary work ethic.Travel Required:YesQualificationsRequired
Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree in Hospitality,
Meeting, and Event Planning or related field required.Preferred
Education and Experience: Minimum of 2 years' experience in
contract negotiations, event planning or catering OR an equivalent
combination of education and experience. Must be professional,
detail oriented, and courteous. Must possess excellent verbal and
written communication skills to interact effectively with guests
and employees.Computer Experience: Must be able to use Windows
based operating systems; including some basic associated software
applications (i.e. word processing / spreadsheet).Other
- Demonstrated project management experience and capability (PMP
certification or similar) a plus.
- Prefer familiarity with project management tools like: MS
Project; Wrike; Confluence; Smartsheet; MS Office; eSpace;
Caterease; Asana; Trello.
- Prefer familiarity with event planning and management tools
like Cvent.The above duties reflect the general responsibilities
necessary to describe the principal work functions of the job and
shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work
requirements that may be in the position.The U.S. Space & Rocket
Center is an Equal Opportunity EmployerAll qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, disability, or veteran status.Equal Opportunity
Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with DisabilitiesThe
contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate
against employees or applicants because they have inquired about,
discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another
employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the
compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part
of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other
employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have
access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in
response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an
investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
Keywords: Rocket Center, Huntsville , DIRECTOR, EVENT MANAGEMENT, Executive , Huntsville, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...