Director of Special Education
Company: Alabama State Departement of Education
Posted on: April 9, 2021
Administrative - Position - Other, please specify Job Number
2300208862 Start Date Open Date 04/05/2021 Closing Date
- A Master's degree or higher from an accredited university in
administration, curriculum, instruction, special education, or a
- Certification in Administration/Supervision.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in areas of special
education, school administration or other supervisory leadership
experience deemed appropriate by the Superintendent.
- A viable knowledge of the special education curriculum, the
administration of special programs, effective methods of
implementing diverse programs, and special education law.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may
find appropriate and acceptable. Supervises: All Special Education
employees Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and supervises special programs to meet the needs of
special education and 504 students in preschool and K-12 programs
that are consistent with the educational goals established by the
- Provides technical assistance to special education teachers
upon request of principals and/or individual teachers.
- Provides leadership for and participation in professional
development programs as required to ensure that special education
and district personnel are adequately prepared to meet the
individual needs of each student with special needs.
- Establishes both short and long-range goals to ensure that the
district is in compliance with federal and state requirements in
serving individuals with disabilities.
- Provides assistance to the schools as needed through the
development and implementation of programs and services that meet
the system's needs.
- Assists with the selection, placement, and supervision of staff
- Monitors and participates in the development of IEPs to ensure
accuracy, completeness, and implementation according to local,
state and federal regulations.
- Assists with budget preparation, coordinates with other
departments to assure maximum services and maintains
records/reports/inventories in accordance with policies.
- Demonstrates proficiency in written and oral
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal relations skills.
- Assists, educates and directs school administrators, teachers
and other system personnel in matters specifically related to the
implementation of federal and state laws and regulations involving
- Coordinates activities with mental health agencies, hospitals,
and other community agencies which directly involve special
education students and /or programs.
- Adheres to school system's rules and administrative procedures,
local board policies and state and federal rules and
- Engages in professional growth and demonstrates professional
ethics and leadership.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Superintendent. Duty
Days 245 Reports To Superintendent Salary Range: From/To Salary to
be established by the Board
- Educational Administrator Job Attachment The State does not
discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, sexual
orientation, religious preference, marital status, disability,
national origin, or any other reason prohibited by state or federal
law. Employees of the District are required to comply with the
provisions of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and Title IX of the
1972 Educational Amendments.
Alabama school boards are required by state law to verify the
employment eligibility of newly hired employees by using the
federal E-Verify program. New employees are required to provide a
Social Security number, an unexpired identity document that
contains a photograph, and other acceptable documents that
establish employment eligibility. In addition to determining
whether a new hire is authorized to work in the United States,
E-Verify will confirm that the employee's name and Social Security
number match. Use of any published data or content on this web site
is prohibited without the written consent of the Alabama State
Department of Education. Failed loading page (Protocol "" is
Keywords: Alabama State Departement of Education, Huntsville , Director of Special Education, Education / Teaching , Tuscumbia, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!